Skip to main content

When You Are Only Kinda Okay

Here is a story about a woman who believed in herself:

She excelled in her career life. She carried the team with her heart. She marked the path so people could follow.

But, one day, a fog surrounded her.

At first, she used her skills to clear her path. When it failed, she equipped herself with her familiar weapons. When that failed too, she searched within herself and tried the strategies taught to her but she never executedd before. However, those failed, too.

Now, she was where she feared most: Lost. 

She, was, just, lost. 

Lost; that void which she never imagined she would be in.

What now?

When all your coping skills seemed to fail and your self-confidence shattered, where do you go?

***

Early this year, a few of my colleagues left. Some retired, some moved to another workplace and some got their specialists' postings. All of them, of course, were moving to unfamiliar place. But, after they left, I realized that I was, too, moved to an unfamiliar place to me. All of them were essential pieces in my everyday work life. Now, with them gone, I did not know how to survive.

At the same time, a new boss entered. Here I was: grieving and still had to pull myself together for the team. I pulled out all of my tools and summoned all my skills to get myself through this.

At first, it seemed okay. But later it was evident that I was breaking apart. The breaking apart was initially silent, then it became loud and clear; my heart raced when I arrived at work, my mind blanked out in front of the laptop, my hands became cold and all my tasks were unfinished.

Then, I started questioning myself - am I even as good as I thought I was?

The person who gave me clarity was Dearest - he said, in the most blue (ref: DISC personality) way, "You are having anxiety." ...and I went ooooooohhhhhhhhh that makes sense, thank you very much. Now, I know where to go.

So, I tried:

  1. Breathing
  2. Touch a physical object and list 3 features
  3. Focus on 1 task at a time
  4. Gaining clarity from AI who is supposed to be non-judgemental
But really, what healed me was meeting with my support system; the very friends who moved away. 

In the end, keeping human connections and being there for each other were the best way to get guidance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Years: The First Step - The Cynefin Framework

During a recent read, I learned about the Cynefin Framework: (Source: HBR article here ) I think this is an interesting framework. It helps me to categorize each conflict and how best to first approach it. The framework arranges the steps in order of priority for each category.  There are four areas in which I can classify a problem which I am facing: Simple, Chaos, Complicated, Complex and Disorder. In each area, except for Disorder, the responses are arranged in the order in which one we should do first.  Simple problems are problems which we have faced before and we have already formed a strategy to solve previously, which are our "Best Practice". In facing a Simple problem, we first have to sense it, which means recognizing it as a problem that we have a strategy for. We then categorize the problem to respond to it with our Best Practice. For example, in an outpatient clinic, a patient comes with fever and the doctor senses and categorizes the fever and responds with a tr...

9 Years 6 Months: Hikmah

 One of my good friend at work lost her husband one month ago. It was so sudden, unexpected. They were married for 5 years. She had him for 5 good years. She came back to work today and we talked about her. I let her talk about anything she wanted. I only answered if she asked. For the rest of the time, I just let her talk. She talked about those last few days of his life, the moment she knew he was gone and all other things. She asked me, "What is the reason for all this? Why did he have to die?" ...she asked, so I had to answer. I thought about it for awhile. I answered  that in our religion, we do not focus on the why. We do not dwell to search for the reason why it happened. But, we focus on the things that happen after a bad event. We try to find...I could not find the correct word. I said "benefit" but I meant "hikmah". So, what is hikmah? I went back home and kept thinking about it; how to explain "hikmah" to a person with another religion...

Here Is Eid of 2025

Eid is about winning - the celebration for Muslims who succeeded in conquering their worldly wants and ego during Ramadhan. But it does not always feel like a happy occasion for some. I had a very interesting Eid this year (maybe because I took leave for one whole week and accidentally became the main adult in the house 😒) My beloved grandmother passed away in 2020 on the evening of the first day of Eid. She was our matriarch, and it was hard adjusting to our lives without her. Eid and Ramadhan were always her thing - she would plan all the meals and celebrations, the house visits, the guests' schedules and all the other important stuff. We all miss her, of course: my parents, my aunts and uncles, my siblings, my children, my cousins, and all those who knew her. But I think that hiding in grief would be an insult to her memory. She was always someone who was welcoming whenever guests were over - nothing made her happier than meeting her relatives and friends and making sure they h...